St. Mary of the Storms Church Ruin above Craigeven Bay, Stonehaven, Aberdeenshire, Scotland
This 13th century church was built over the original 7th century Chapel of St Nathalan. The Chapel of St Mary and St Nathalan (more commonly known as St. Mary of the Storms) was dedicated in May 1276. Built in the grounds of the Castle of Cowie it formed part of the Parish of Fetteresso. Several Scottish monachs, especially James IV worshipped here frequently when staying at the castle. It is typical of the period - built in whinstone with three elegant lancet windows on the east gable. The chapel fell into disuse after the Reformation. the roof and stones were taken by local people for building purposes despite a local legend that any stones would rain drops of blood upon any house built with them.
The Stoneahven Golf Club was founded in 1888 but the "new" clubhouse seen here dates from 1897.